Looking to buy a used car? Then a thorough pre-purchase inspection is important. It takes more than just a quick look to make sure you get your money’s worth. Perfection Auto Garage will perform the details of a comprehensive car inspection checklist.
Pre-Purchase vehicle inspection
The first step in car inspection is gathering general data. This helps you especially when comparing multiple vehicles. Data includes:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Make, year, model
- Engine cylinders, size, and type
- Body – looks for scratches, dents, and dings. Look at paint scuffing and overall condition. Carefully inspect the front, hood, bumpers, doors, rear, roof, trim and quarter panels. Use a flashlight to look under the wheel well. Body killing rust often starts there in the darkness.
- Glass – looks for cracks, chips, or discoloration. Check the windshield, door windows, rear window and mirrors.
- Tires and wheels – look at the wheel and tire tread. Measure tire tread and look for the curb damage.
- Wipers – Check the blades and wipers. Make sure they work properly. Check front and rear washers as well.
- Evidence of smoke odor.
- Interior items – check the glove box, air conditioner & heater, hood release, cigarette lighter, headrests, door panels, dash pad, and vanity mirrors.
- Gauges – speedometer, tachometer, temperature, oil pressure, and amp meter.
- Audio system – test the radio, CD player, and USB port.
- Carpet and upholstery – look at front and rear seats, front and rear carpeting, headliner.
- Trunk – inspects the carpeting, tools, jack, and spare tire.
- Electrical system – test headlights, high beams, tail lights, brake lights, parking lights, turn signals, electric windows, sunroof, and electric seat controls.
- Under the hood – look for oil leaks, exhaust leaks, and exhaust smoke.
UNDER THE HOOD
Check the all the fluids such as :
- Engine oil
- Brake oil
- Power steering oil
- Clutch oil gear oil and coolant,filters
- A/C system
- Oil leaks
- and other damages.
- Brake system – noise, vibration, effort; parking brake operation
- Suspension – performance, noise, rough road test
- Idling noise
- Engine or acceleration noise
- Wind noise
- Starting ease or noise
- Steering – effort, drifting
- Transmission – shifts quality, smoothness, effort, slippage, or noise
- Engine operating temperature and performance
- Transaxle noise
- CV joint or drive axle noise
Diagnose all the control units Such as Engine, transmission, airbag, ABS, body control, A/C control, sensors and electronic devices etc.
CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION
- Farme rail and sub frame
- Body bushings
- Exhaust system
- Powertrain system
- Axles and propeller shaft
- Shocks,struts and springs
- Steering system
- Control arms and trailing arms
- All mountings